Healthy Peppermint Mocha
Healthy Peppermint Mocha for just 62 calories that is packed with chocolate and peppermint flavor for the perfect holiday drink.
I don’t know about you but I have a hard time resisting all the delicious holiday coffee drinks that pop up virtually everywhere. Especially now that the cold weather has rolled in, I find myself tempted to buy a peppermint mocha every time I leave the house. And it doesn’t help that there is a Starbucks in my grocery store, Target, and within walking distance of our house. But with 240 calories and 28 grams of sugar (7 SP for a grande with 2% milk), it’s an indulgence that I don’t feel like I can treat myself to daily.
Luckily, it’s really easy to make one at home that tastes amazing and is much better for you. This easy, at home version has less calories, fat, and sugar than the original version and also doesn’t have a bunch of artificial ingredients that are usually found in the store bought versions. Plus it is really easy to customize so it is exactly as chocolately, pepperminty, and sweet as you like. I even have a quick, microwave trick to make frothy, foamy milk at home in less than a minute. You will love it and your wallet and waistline will thank you.
Tips for Making the Perfect Healthy Peppermint Mocha
- For me, any good peppermint mocha has frothy milk. To make it at home, just pour your milk into a jar with a lid, making sure to fill it less than halfway. Then shake it vigorously for 30-60 seconds until it is nice and frothy and has doubled in volume. Remove the lid and microwave for 30-60 seconds until milk is warm and froth has moved to the top. Use a spoon to hold the froth in the cup and pour the warm milk into your coffee. Then use the spoon to scoop the foam on top.
- You have a lot of options for adding chocolate to your mocha. Personally, I like to use unsweetened cocoa powder and then add my own sweetener to taste. However you could also use a sweetened chocolate syrup, there are even light options out there with less sugar
- Typically peppermint mochas use regular milk, but you can use any milk you like. The more fat the milk has, the richer the peppermint mocha will taste.
- For peppermint flavor, you have a few options. Typically, people use peppermint extract to make healthier minty mochas. However if you like Stevia, you could use a peppermint flavored Stevia that would add the peppermint flavor and sweetness at the same time.
- If you don’t want to take the time to brew fresh coffee, I recommend this instant espresso powder that is surprisingly delicious for an instant coffee.
Looking for more coffee recipes?
- Coffee Hazelnut Smoothie
- Coffee Cheesecake Popsicle
- Five Weight Watchers Friendly Starbucks Drinks at Home
Here are some of the products and tools used for these Healthy Peppermint Mochas
- Coffee: I like really strong coffee for this drink since it is typically made with espresso. Since I don’t like to brew a whole pot of really strong coffee, I always use this simple stovetop espresso pot. It’s affordable, easy to clean, and makes excellent coffee.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: You can use any kind of unsweetend cocoa powder you like. I use Cacao powder which has some extra healthy benefits.