Tilapia Fish Burgers
Tilapia Fish Burgers probably aren’t what you think of immediately when it comes to a burger, but you will be shocked by how delicious these simple fish burgers can be. Flavored with ingredients you already have in your pantry, these simple burgers are full of flavor and seriously good.
Burgers are something I can almost always get everyone to agree on for dinner. Fish not so much. So a fish burger is a happy compromise that usually works for everyone. I decided to use tilapia for this burger since it’s inexpensive and I don’t feel like I am “wasting” it on a burger recipe. However another sturdy white fish or salmon would work great as well depending on what you like best. Topped with some fresh avocado, tomatoes, and sprouts – it’s a delicious, lighter buger you’ll love.
Since tilapia can be on the bland side, it’s important to add tons of flavor to your burgers. In this case, I used a combination of garlic, Dijon mustard, paprika, onion powder, basil, salt, and pepper to kick up the flavors. However you could really spice them up any way you want. I have made blackened fish burgers with chili powder, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder and simple lemon pepper burgers with lemon zest, Parmesan, and tons of black pepper. Think of tilapia like you would ground turkey or chicken – it’s kind of a blank canvas you can spice up any way you like.
In terms of topping these burgers, normally I just go with something simple like some sliced avocado, fresh tomatoes, cucumber, and lettuce or sprouts. However when I am feeling more ambitious, I will whip up a simple yogurt dressing or lightened up tartar sauce to dollop on top. For the yogurt dressing, I usually just add crushed garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, and fresh herbs to full fat yogurt. For a lightened up tartar sauce, mix equal parts yogurt, low fat mayonnaise, and relish.
Here are some things to keep in mind when making these Tilapia Fish Burgers:
- While I normally use tilapia for these burgers since it is affordable, almost any fish will work. I have made these with salmon, cod, haddock, and even with shrimp.
- You can flavor these fish burgers so many differrent ways. I love the classic combination of spices I included below but you can also mix things up to create your own combination. Try making things spicy with chili powder, smoky with cumin, or brighten up the flavors with lemon or orange zest.
- You can go crazy when it comes to topping these burgers, so get creative. Avocado, tomatoes, and sprouts are simple and delicious toppings. You can also make your own homemade tartar sauce and yogurt spreads. And if you like spice, Sriracha is always a good option.
Looking for more healthy burger recipes?
- Roasted Poblano Cheeseburger
- Easy Vegetarian Salsa Burgers
- Jalapeno Cheddar Turkey Burgers
- Chickpea Feta Burgers
- Turkey Apple Burgers
- Double Bean Burgers
Here are some of the products and tools I used to make these burgers.
- Food processor: I have had this food processor for years and absolutely love it. The blades have never dulled and the engine still works great after years of use. Plus I love all the attachments, it makes for very easy vegetable slicing and dicing.