Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
Mexican Chopped Salad with Lime Vinaigrette is the perfect meal sized salad filled with all your favorites – black beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes, mango, jicama, cilantro, red onion, queso fresco, and a quick and easy honey lime dressing you will want to put on everything.
Although this summer has been filled with far too many ice cream cones, I am happy to report that it has been equally filled with lots of salad. We have been eating it as a side dish pretty much every night with dinner and I’ve been eating lots of kitchen sink salads for lunch filled with whatever we have in the fridge. It’s a great way to use up leftovers and also makes me feel less guilty about all those summer ice cream cones.
One of those salads inspired this Mexican Chopped Salad. I was finishing up lots of odds and ends from tacos the night before and fell in love with this simple salad. Between the sweet mango, crunchy jicama, creamy avocado, and all your standard items – black beans, corn, cilantro, and onion – it’s a salad that is hearty enough to be a meal and will have you going back for more and more. Plus I haven’t even got to the simple honey lime salad dressing. It’s just the right balance of tangy and sweet. You will find yourself making it for everything.
When making this Mexican Chopped Salad, here are some ways to customize it:
- Pretty much any veggies are fair game in this salad. Add some chopped bell peppers, red cabbage, radishes, carrots, or any other favorites. Same goes for fruit. Although I am partial to mango and jicama, this salad tastes great with pineapple as well.
- If you want to pack in some extra protein, consider adding cooked chicken, ground turkey, steak, or shrimp to the salad. You could also add some canned pinto beans or a veggie burger for a meatless option.
- If you can find queso fresco at your grocery store, it’s the perfect cheese for this salad. If not you can use any soft or shredded cheese you like.
Looking for more healthy salads:
- Watermelon and Avocado Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Blueberry Corn Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- Ranch BLT Pasta Salad
- Spicy Cabbage and Corn Slaw
- Grilled Vegetable Caprese Salad
- Honey Lime Kale and Quinoa Salad
Here are some tools I used when preparing this recipe:
- Salad bowls: When I am making a salad for a quick meal at home, I usually reach for these simple glass bowls for both making the salad and serving it. I love that them come with an optional lid so I can just toss the leftovers in the fridge after the meal. For fancier meals or when we have friends over, this is my go-to salad bowl.
- I make a ton of homemade salad dressing and usually make enough to have for salads throughout the week. I love using this dressing container to both make dressing (easy to read measurements right on the container) and store dressing.